Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Best Souvenirs are Free!

Disney has come up with everything you can think of as far as souvenirs go. My mom even bought me a Mickey Mouse cocktail shaker. That’s tame compared to some of the things Disney has developed to make a buck. That leads some people to question if there are any free souvenirs. You can’t really count your ticket because you paid an arm and a leg for it. A resort mug, even if you got it as part of a package is still paid for. I guess food wrappers are close but who wants to collect those? You could rip up a plant and smuggle it out of the park but that’s a crummy souvenir and you might banned from the parks. How about the soap in the hotel rooms? That’s a little better but still doesn’t fit the bill as a good souvenir and it’s not very collectable.

How about an unused Fast Pass? BINGO! It’s the perfect free souvenir. Each fast pass is different, it’s dated, and it’s collectable. The only real drawback is that you can’t get another fast pass until after the one you want to keep has expired. That’s no problem if you pick one up as you are leaving the park. They also fit nicely in a wallet which will protect them. All of the best (and some of the worst) have fast passes.

For some reason I only grabbed two on my last trip. Want to take a guess as to what they are? If you said Splash Mountain, you would be wrong. The fast pass wasn’t running during my trip. The two I have are Space Mountain and Expedition Everest.

Everest was the first one I nabbed. I didn’t plan on keeping it either. I got stuck with the fast pass because my wife felt too queasy after going on it once. She can’t go backwards without getting ill. I just stuck the fast pass in my wallet.

It wasn’t until the end of our trip that I figured that a fast pass would be a good souvenir. Our last day was in the Magic Kingdom. Because Splash Mountain wasn’t handing them out I went over and grabbed a Space Mountain fast pass. I figured if they change the fast pass with the refurbish, I’ll have an original.

So there you go. There is something free in Disney World that’s worth keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment