Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2009

Herding Cats is Easier

When I went to Disney World in December 2008 it was my wife’s first real trip. I thought I knew what she’d like and what she wouldn’t. I was wrong. I found out that herding cats is easier than trying to predict what attractions my wife would like.

Mickey’s Philarmagic: I thought I’d have a fight on my hands just to get my wife into this. I was wrong. She willingly entered. I think she was tired and just wanted to sit down. What concerned me was, she’s not a Disney fan. Mickey’s Philarmagic and a non-Disney fan is a bad mix. That ride was build for Disney fans. Somehow she enjoyed it.

Tom Sawyers Island: As a kid I loved Tom Sawyers Island and I love the fact that it’s still around. For some reason my wife liked it even though she’d never been on it before. We went through all of the caves and over all of the bridges. She didn’t complain once.

Carousal of Progress: She gave me the “You seriously want to go on that?” line when I headed towards this one. Over all she liked it. However, she did point out the flaws in the timeline. She didn’t complain about the tech in the final scene, she complained that the guy would be about 150 if he was the same person through each scene. She also complained about the song. She didn’t think it was bad, it just got stuck in her head. Every now and then I record it onto her cell phone voicemail.

Flights of Wonder: I think I got a roll of the eyes when planned this one. I think this one did a lot to prove the difference between Disney and Non-Disney to her. A show about birds in most places would be boring to most people. A show about birds in Disney is a whole other story. She really like enjoyed it.

O’Canada: The only reason I got my wife into this show is because it was pouring. She wasn’t happy. Afterwards she let is slip that she enjoyed it.

Despite my best efforts I couldn’t get her to do Impressions de France, The American Adventure, or Reflections of China. It just wasn’t happening. The irony is she sat through the movie in Norway. It was her idea. Long story but she likes anything Norwegian. Except NCL but that too is a long story.

How am I going to do those attractions next time? I have two plans. Plan A: Send her to the spa for a few hours. Plan B: Bring her to France, hand her $50, and tell her to keep putting the booze back until it’s gone. That’ll buy be about 20 minutes if I’m lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment