Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strange Tides

I loved the first pirates film. I think most people would agree that it was the best of the three movies. The second pirates film was entertaining but it went a little nuts as far as the story went. The third pirates film was crap. I hated it. It had a few funny parts but it was mostly bizarre and more of a fantasy film than an action film.

It’s official. There is going to be a pirates four entitled “On Strange Tides.” I’m not excited at all. After the last two films there is nothing that would lead me to believe this movie will be good. I think the use of the term “strange” will be fitting. The last two movies were so strange they led me to think they were having an identity crisis and couldn’t figure out what they wanted to be.

Right now we know very little about the movie. We know that the basic idea is Sparrow vs. Barbosa with a female pirate who eggs them on. We also know Orlando Bloom will not be returning so the whole “Flying Dutchman” story should be gone.

Joining Orlando on the not returning list is Keira Knightley (there goes my interest in the movie). She had a good character. She was nice and balanced. I can’t imagine what the new female character is going to be like. If it’s anything like Calypso I’ll be avoiding this movie.

My hope is that Disney will hire a writer who will try and redirect the series back to a pirate movie and away from the unexplainable mess it’s become. What made the first one so good was the fact that you could relate to a lot of the things in it. It felt like a good old pirate action movie with treasure, sword fighting, sea battles, and grog swilling scoundrels.

My fear is we’ll see more sea monsters, magic, gods, demented afterlife’s, a heart in a box that are still beating, an army of undead, special effects gone crazy, and a guy with an octopus face. I think I’ll be able to tell by the trailers alone if this is going to be a movie I wan to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment