Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Disney Promotions

Disney has done a lot of promotions over the years. Some have seemed to work well while others just…happened. I remember a few of these promotions quite well. For example the 15 year celebration was memorable. 15 years isn’t really a big mile stone so now I’m rather surprised that Disney decided to do a promo for it. What they did was fun and created excitement. Random people entering the parks got selected to win a prize. It really didn’t cost all much to pull that off. The average who was picked won something that wasn’t worth much monetarily but they’ll remember that day.

The 25th anniversary is another one I remember. I don’t remember any giveaways but I remember that Disney made a big deal about it. They invited everyone to come be a part of the celebration. It worked. We ended up going that year. A cast member also mentioned that there had been a noticeable spike in attendance during that promotion. I’m guessing a lot of the “once in a lifetime” people went then. Maybe it was the cake castle.

The “Year of a Million Dreams” took what was started during the “15 year” promo and kicked it up a notch. Instead of being snagged as you entered, you could be snagged at anytime and anywhere in the parks. You could get on a ride just to find out you just won a pin or some other prize. Most of the items were small or didn’t cost Disney anything but they sure did get people excited. For most people the idea that you could get picked to stay in the castle was in the back of their heads during their trip. That alone spiced things up a little.

“What Will You Celebrate?” followed the “Year of a Million Dreams.” Nothing really excited me about this promotion. My wife’s work is crazy busy when I could have gotten into the parks for free. We had another vacation planned for when my wife could have gotten in for free. What other reason would we have to go? It really limits your options. Typically only one or two people could use that per party. Beyond that it’s expensive on Disney’s end. Think about it. Instead of the $5 to $10 dollar prize you’re doing a $75 dollar prize. It’s a nice gesture but sadly it didn’t generate the excitement that some of the other promotions did.

I really wonder what’s next. I know I jokingly said that the next promotion would be “Come Be Broke With Us!” and it would consist of all of the characters dressed as bums while they panhandle from the guests. I don’t think I need to say that isn’t going to happen. We’ll just have to wait a few weeks. Normally during the last quarter of the year Disney either extends the current promotion or starts a new one. With the economy the way it is I can’t see them doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment