Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Elderly and the Parks


When planning a Disney vacation should you consider inviting your elderly relatives? It depends on the individual but I have to say we never thought twice with my grand mother.

At 64 she rode Space Mountain. She got off and told my dad “There’s no line, lets go again!” So they got back in line. After that ride, they got back in line again. After that the cast member stopped them and told my grand mother that she was too old to keep walking around and he sent her through without having to wait in line. After two more rides she finally got off.

She loved Epcot, especially the World Showcase. She loved going to the pub in the UK and grabbing a beer or a gin and tonic. She had to pace herself because Epcot is so large. I think that was her excuse to grab a drink at many of the countries.

At 84 she couldn’t ride Space Mountain anymore. She couldn’t walk large distances either. She still loved the parks. My mom would push her in a wheel chair and she’d still go on Splash Mountain and other rides. She also loved getting her photo taken in Disney. The last photo of her in Disney was taken by a cast member. It was of her, my mother, my sister, and my niece, four generations in front of Cinderella’s castle.

She had a stroke two months later. Before she died she never recovered. However she loved Disney. At her funeral it was brought out how she loved to travel but Disney World was her favorite.

Just remember to keep the camera going when you’re in the parks. Some of your best memories will be there. It doesn’t matter if they don’t like or cannot go on rides. Even if they can’t do as much as they used to, for many just being with their families is worth the price to get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment