Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Hit or Miss Ride


Most rides at Walt Disney World are very consistent. That’s one of the charms of going. You get consistently good results. One ride that doesn’t really fit this mold is the Jungle Cruise.

The Jungle Cruise is a classic. It was one of Walt’s ideas and it’s been a fan favorite since its debut. The Jungle Cruise is always decent but sometimes it’s amazing. The Jungle Cruise is one of the few rides left that actually have a cast member that plays a big role in the ride. Your experience will vary greatly depending on the cast member you get.

The last time I rode this ride I got the perfect cast member. I wish I had taken note of her name. She was easily the best “skipper” I’ve ever had. She was funny, interactive, and quirky. She got me laughing even though I’ve ridden this ride a good dozen times over the years.

Another classic ride I had on the Jungle Cruise was extremely different. It was during Mickey’s Christmas Party. I didn’t care at all about the Christmas stuff, I just wanted to hit rides with no lines all night. I got in line at the Jungle Cruise and found out I was the only one. I got on the boat and the cast member pulled away from the dock. Since I was the only one on the boat, she looked at me and asked if I wanted the normal ride or the behind the scenes ride. I opted for the behind the scenes ride. She went in detail into the background of the ride, its history, and even pointed out a hidden Mickey in the wall of the cave. It was another Jungle Cruise ride I’ll never forget.

The other times I’ve ridden the ride were good, they just didn’t match up to the other experiences. It must be hard though. To do the same thing over and over but try to keep it fresh and make it seem like your not mailing it in can’t be easy.

Too bad I never went on the ride when “Skipper” Ben of the Inside the Magic podcast was doing that ride. I bet he could do a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment