Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yak and YACK and Yeti


On my last trip to Disney World my wife and I used a dinning plan. Because of this we ate at a lot of places we never would have eaten at. One of those places was Yak and Yeti in the Animal Kingdom. A majority of what I had read about this restaurant was positive. For the most part they said it was the best sit down restaurant in the Animal Kingdom. For those of you who don’t know, that is a back handed complement. I think it’s the only sit down restaurant in Animal Kingdom unless you count the rainforest cafĂ© outside the gate.

As you can tell from the title of this post Yak and Yeti was not an overly pleasant experience. There was some good and there was some bad.

My wife and I both ordered a drink. We both ordered some frozen fruity thing. Mine was some kind of Mango mush. That may sound bad but it was really good. If I remember right it was called a “Yak Attack.” I could have put down a number of them if they hadn’t cost nearly ten dollars a pop. I can’t remember what my wife ordered (maybe the Everest Avalanche) but I know why she picked it. Our waiter described it as having the most alcohol of any drink available inside a Disney World theme park. I don’t know how true that is but at least it tasted good.

For appetizers I got the Pork Pot Stickers. I ordered them pan seared as I hoped this would make them somewhat crispy. I was wrong. They tasted ok buy they were chewy and had an unpleasant consistency. The texture reminded me of soggy celery. My wife ordered the Wok Fried Green Beans. Those were very good. Only problem I had with them was I kept thinking I was at a TGI Fridays. They were the same. I think the chef had eaten their and decided to rip them off.

My main course was the Duck with Anandapur Glaze. It sounded good and I figured for $21.99 (I didn’t pay that I was on a dinning plan) it should be. As I started to eat it the thought occurred to me “Thank God this duck was dead when they started because they KILLED it again!” It was awful. I’d never had duck jerky before. To call this jerky is an insult to jerky. Leather is a more accurate description. I don’t think the meat could have been any tougher. If I had dentures I would have asked the waiter for a side of Fixodent. The stir fried vegetables it came with were tasteless. Overall it was AWFUL!

My wife ordered the baby back ribs. They were good and for the most part tender. The glaze wasn’t bad. There were only two problems. One we had eaten at the Hoop Dee Doo Review the night before. Anyone who has eaten there knows that you will be ruined after eating there. The ribs are the best I’ve ever had. So the ribs at Yak and Yeti just didn’t compare. The second problem is you need a second stomach to finish them. This is an entire order of ribs. We’re talking Fred Flintstone style meat. It would be nice to have had an option of a half rack so you don’t kill yourself trying to finish the $22.99 monstrosity in front of you.

Since we were on the dinning plan we ordered desert. The mango pie was very good although I wouldn’t mix it with a mango drink. There was just too much mango between the two.

The theming of Yak and Yeti was ok and just ok. They put up a bunch of exotic posters and a few statues and called it a day. Compared to other Disney World restaurants it was lacking.

By far Yak and Yeti was the low spot of our vacation when dining is considered. I’d rather eat a real Yak than go back there. I can’t think of any other place that had a worse food item or theming. At least the waiter was nice and attentive.

No comments:

Post a Comment