A ton of different organizations and companies have done list of what they feel are the top ten films of all time. Most of them have the same thing in common. They ignore the common man and only really care about the critics. Those lists remind me a lot of Oscars. I never watch the Oscars because I know I won’t give a rats backside about the movies that win.
I decided to come up with a real top ten list. A list that will prove once and for all that I am nuts. Some of the movies on this list will dumb found you. You might also be surprised by the range of movies.
1. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) – This movie is all about the story. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better written movie. This is a movie that you have to watch a few times just to figure out what happened but when realize the complexity of what happened if blows you away.
2. Alien (1979) – I saw Alien when I was a kid and it scared the pants off me. When I found out it was made before I was born I was shocked. No movie before Alien treated horror and sci-fi like this film did. This movie set a new standard that countless films since have tried to match.
3. Forest Gump (1994) – “Forest Gump” is one of those movies that will make you laugh and five minutes later make you cry. It’s one of those movies that just makes you smile in the end.
4. Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail (1975) – Its budget was so small they couldn’t afford credits at the end, people said it was an utterly silly movie, and then it gained a cult following that cemented Monty Python in legend status. Try and think of a movie that people quote more frequently. Find a movie with a higher cost to profit ratio. Find a movie with a more amazing development story. Despite the odds this movie made it.
5. Mary Poppins (1964) – You can’t go wrong with Mary Poppins. The style of this movie was great. It was exciting. It was funny. It was everything you’d want out of a family movie. In a word it is magical.
6. Dumb and Dumber (1994) – The name says it all. This movie is dumb. It might be the dumbest movie of all time. People say it’s disgusting and crude. There is one thing they are forgetting. It’s the most perfect display of toilet humor ever made.
7. Up (2009) – Why did I put “Up” in my top ten? It’s a good movie but what really sends this one over the edge is its ability to pull on your heart. No animated movie made me cry in my adult life until this one. The montage in the beginning is one of the best pieces of film making in any movie.
8. Miracle (2004) – This is one of those movies that no one has seen. It’s about the 1980 US Olympic Ice Hockey Team and how they won the gold. If you ever need a feel good movie go see this one. What this movie does well is merging actual footage with movie footage. It makes you feel like you are there.
9. Blazing Saddles (1974) – This movie offended everyone too stupid to see the forest through the trees. In reality this wasn’t a racist movie, it was a movie that proved how stupid racist people are. At first you don’t want to laugh but then the person next to you laughs and you lose it. Enjoy this movie because you could never make another one in the super sensitive world we live in.
10. It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) – This is one of those movies that couldn’t be made today. Its scope was huge, every movie star on Earth at the time was in it, and it has one of the best endings you’ll ever see.
Honorable mention: Star Wars: A New Hope, The Fellowship of the Ring, Whip It, Rocky, The Sixth Sense, Golden Eye, The Birds, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
Coming Soon – CMDTA’s Worst Movies of All Time
Here are the top three: